Thursday, April 22, 2010

I must be nuts.

So you know those rules of writing and querying that I whine about on this blog? Well, when it comes to the world of tv writing at least, be prepared to chuck them all out the window.

After submitting a spec script to a tv agent in LA a few weeks back, I actually managed to have a phone conversation with the guy. I know. My mind is still blown. Anyhoo, as Tuesday's post so embarrassingly demonstrated, things got a bit out of hand inside my brain, but when I finally worked up the courage to call him back the news was, if not as good as I'd hoped, certainly interesting: Write a pilot, he said. Then call me back.

As any of you writers know, getting a foot in the door with tv people is even harder than with book people. And to do so, or so I've always read and been told, you need to write a spec script (a script for a show that is already in production) and then another, and likely another. Not the case today, said the tv agent. A spec is good, but to get meetings with the big U.S. networks, what you really need is an original show idea and a script with big t!ts to back it up. Okay, I added that bit about t!ts, but I'm writing tv now, people! T!ts sell.

So I'm doing it. I'm turning my manuscript into a tv show. I've always tinkered with this idea but it seemed so incredibly far-fetched, so utterly impossible, that I didn't dare dream that big. But why not? I've got nothing to lose except, well, pretty much everything. Sigh.

If you don't hear from me in a week, please, call someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment