Monday, May 24, 2010

I just flew in from London and boy, is my stabbing arm tired.

This is not a travel blog so no matter how badly I want to write about my trip around Europe, all I'll say is this: Home is where the heart is, yes, but when your heart travels with you (hi Muffin!) then home is wherever the light is good enough for proper eyebrow maintenance. (Note to GOOP: implement bathroom lighting rating system on all hotel reviews post-haste.) Aside from my travelling, I also managed to squeeze in an awful lot of episodes of Dexter thanks to Heathrow's incredibly dismal selection of magazine shops in terminal three (the Queen's fault) and a good book finished too fast (Annabel Lyon's fault).

So, as I knew I would be, I am now a big fan of Dexter. The premise is crazy and disturbing, dark and comedic. The relationships between the main characters are fascinating and wrought with tension, mystery and possibility. And the writing is pretty darn good too, but it's not why I love the show. In fact, Dexter turns me on mostly because the good acting saves the writing when the writing verges on bad. And it goes there sometimes. Via dialogue, the characters aren't always as round or free of cliches as they should be. To quote Lieutenant Maria Esperanza del Alma LaGuerta from episode 1, season four: "I need this case solved fast." And Lieutenant Maria Esperanza del Alma LaGuerta from episode 2, season four?: "This case needs to be solved yesterday." Gah.

Anyhoo, this is what I love about tv: when the acting is good, it makes everything written on the page that much better. I can't imagine how thrilling it must be for a new writer to see an actor like Michael C. Hall turn their words into action. The line his smile went crooked and his eyes nearly gave him away gets shot into life like a rocket when that man does it for camera.

As far as my own TV adventures go, I e-mailed the agent on Saturday because I couldn't help myself. I have yet to hear back, which can't be good. So, I'm going to carry on with my original plan and submit my applications to the WB and NBC's respective screenwriting programs and see what happens. Keep your fingers and disembodied toes crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment