Saturday, July 24, 2010

The CBC and 10-Year Plans

When I was 20, I wrote myself a 10-year plan. To keep a long, anal-retentive story short, to complete the list I had to check off this particular point: get book deal with major publisher by the age of 30. I'm still not sure what 30-Year-Old Me thinks about this "failure" of mine. I haven't quite come to terms with being this old, let alone missing such a deadline. 20-Year-Old Me is pretty pissed though.

Anyways, let's see what else has been going on. Oh yes. I sent my pilot pitch off to the CBC. By the way, if you want to do the same, click here. I wish someone had told me about the magic phrase "independent producers" sooner. But now I know -- thank you friend of a friend of a friend at that barbeque. Sorry if I spit some corn water on you. It was very juicy, as you may recall.

So I pitched, and two days later I got a response. I can hardly believe it myself, but the CBC wants to see my pilot. Good news, right? Sort of. See, I wasn't expecting to hear from them for a few weeks. I figured I'd have time to Canadianize the thing and stretch it out by 15 pages or so into a full-length drama.

Let's just say I've been scrambling like crazy for the past two weeks and I do not eat eggs.

But it's almost done. And get this, 20-Year-Old Me: I like it. I like it a lot. So I'm sorry that I let you down. I'm sorry I didn't get you a publishing deal. But I'm so much happier here in TV Land. It's a friendlier neighbourhood with so much less snobbery. Everyone in TV Land owns a TV. They don't sneer at me for watching The Bachelor, for spending entire weekends with ginger-haired serial killers and misogynists in skinny ties. So it's okay, 20-Year-Old Me, we'll get there eventually. The road will just look a little different. It will be have more dialogue and less exposition. It will be more plot-focused and more fun. The formatting will be a f#%&ing bitch, though.

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited to hear what comes of this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, Alana. Excited is a synonym for "terrified," right?

    ReplyDelete