Thursday, October 7, 2010

Burned before reading


The following is a path to rejection so bizarre that I had to share it. Pay attention to the dates. They make this &#it matter:

May 11, 2010

Dear Id,

Thank you for sending us the query below. Please do send the complete manuscript if you can. A Word attachment would be just fine. It will take 2-3 months for us to get back to you. We are considering manuscripts for fall 2011...

Sincerely,

XXXX
Associate Editor
XXXX Books

I forgot about that e-mail. Time passed. A trip through Europe happened. A new job was gotten. No manuscript was sent. Fast forward to...

August 26, 2010:

Dear Id,

My apologies in taking forever to get back to you. I would like to take a look at your whole manuscript for A Happy Armageddon. You're welcome to send it to this email address in a doc format. I will get back to you some time this fall.

Sincerely,

XXXX
Associate Editor
XXXX Books

Time passed, personal problems arose, a re-write began. More problems. No trip to Europe. No manuscript was sent. Fast forward to...

October 7, 2010

Dear Id,

Thank you for your query back in spring of this year. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

Unfortunately we don't think A Happy Armageddon is a good fit with our list at this time. We are once again overwhelmed with professional submissions for our annual award for an unpublished novel or story collection, and it is difficult to make the necessary decisions. Editorial judgments are subjective and often wrong, of course, and I wish you all the best with your writing.

Sincerely,

XXXX
Associate Editor
XXXX Books

I'm pretty sure that this qualifies as a new low.

4 comments:

  1. So perfect for the blog though, if anything!
    You're right: an new low, but for the industry!

    GOLD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously. You should totally call him on it, sending back the entire corespondence...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is hilarious. Found you via Evadne. I think we have a few things in common. Not sure if my agent has received 100 rejections yet (http://books.macedo.ca/?p=2809). Maybe there are some I don't hear about! Looking forward to reading through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. Three comments for ONE post! And someone new to boot! (Hi Tara -- I like your blog, too.)

    ReplyDelete