Wednesday, December 22, 2010

The funniest non-research ever

I have a few wildlife documentary-related scenes in the latest re-write of my novel. For those of you who have read the terrible early draft, you're probably wondering "what the hell do wildlife documentaries have to do with Jehovah's Witnesses?" and you'd be right. Because wildlife documentaries have nothing to do with Jehovah's Witnesses.

Anyhoo, I was doing a fair bit of research for these nonsensical sections -- all of which was done online, of course. I mean, where else would a person find information on various topics all in one convenient place? A library, you say? Sorry, but what the hell is that?

PDFs galore, e-books, web sites... I found everything I could ever need to know on the Web to make these sections better than crap. But most importantly, I found video -- amazing video that inspired a whole series of imagery, stuff and things that made my new draft better. It scares me sometimes that I rely so much on video and television even though I'm a writer. Does that make me dumb? Maybe. My process flawed? Probably. Not as intellectual as holier-than-thou Heather. Absolutely. But, well, err, what was I talking about???

Anyhoo #2, I recently came across what is perhaps the funniest wildlife documentary video EVER made. I didn't learn anything from it that was useful for my book, but it made me laugh like a crazy person. Watch it here and watch it now.

Library. Phhh.

4 comments:

  1. OMG I'm going to spend the next month and a half calling everyone "Alan".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, isn't it? We were killing ourselves laughing in the most inappropriate place ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Remind me to tell you in person the horribly inhuman replies that I can't post here. ;)

    ReplyDelete