Wednesday, December 1, 2010

A writer in wolf clothing

Hi. Remember me? My name is Id and I'm trying to write a book. Actually, at this point, I've already written a book -- make that three -- so what I'm really trying to do is write a good book. I haven't posted in a while because I haven't had much to say. I've just been plugging along working, blogging for other people, buying sweaters with wolves on them, etc.

Here's what's been happening on the writing front. My 76,000th re-write of my novel is running along nicely. I've some holes to fill in this week, which I'm very much looking forward to filling. (Yes, Matt. That's what she said.) Once that's all done, I'll back away from the beast for a month, then re-read and make my final tweaks after the holidays. After that, I'm sending my battered manuscript off to a freelance editor for a read, which I think is the next most logical step. Since I've decided to save my friends the trouble, I need another eye to give it a go. I've been trying to accomplish some fairly complicated stuff this time around and I need to make sure readers will actually get it. I'm loving the magical realism angle so much -- worth every single painful hour of cutting. And the cutting. Whoa boy. I've shed four major characters, pages and pages of descriptions of people and places. What am I left with? I'm not sure yet. I won't really know until I give it a re-read. But I feel lighter for having done it.

See, I'm actually taking my time for this re-write. No panic to meet a before-I-turn-30 deadline, no running out the door of Kinko's with my hair on fire. I'm reborn as a new kind of writer. A patient writer. With no fear, no extraneous characters, and yes, still no agent. And I'm cool with that.

In other news, you know that new cool show on AMC, The Walking Dead? They fired all the staff writers and will be using freelancers from now on. How fu$%ed is that? Read about it here.

In related news, watch this AMAZING cartoon about trying to get published. I think it's the funniest thing I've seen in a while. Funny, because it's true!

4 comments:

  1. That's what sh... well played, Id.... well played.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I can always count on a comment from Matt! Thank you for making me feel relevant. I owe you a beer or some bacon. Your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post. We seem to be on different paths heading toward the same goal. I'm a writer who has become extremely impatient by having an agent (I think I've only done 74, 000 revisions) while you are a patient writer looking for an agent. I'm proud of you for taking your time with no fear. I need to get where you are.

    Love that photo you used. My son keeps asking me why all the people in store windows never have heads. Something tells me you'd have a clever answer for him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That video was so funny, I had to watch it twice & I laughed aloud both times. The sad part is that in order to be willing to spend the time doing all of this (writing, blogging, submitting) you have to be just like that writer and maintain a naive belief that your novel is the best book ever written, that it deserves to be published, that it is the next big wordwide bestseller etc. That said, perhaps we also need to remind ourselves that we like the process of writing, that it is fun to share stories & a love of stories with our friends, and that--through writing--we expand our worlds ...all of which is valuable on its own and not just a means to an end. That said, I'm looking forward to seeing your novels in print ... hopefully soon!

    Evadne
    The 29th Day: a Novel
    http://books.macedo.ca

    ReplyDelete