Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Vampire Fish!

My 30 Rock spec script, "Vampire Fish," is almost wrapped up. I counted a total of 135 jokes so far, which is well below the 30 Rock average of 180, but they're all solid. I'll be doing a table read in the next couple of weeks with some friends and then off shall go my application to NBC's Writers on the Verge. I still have to answer the darn essay question though:

What from your background do you bring to the table as a writer that provides a fresh perspective in your storytelling? (not to exceed 250 words)

I know what NBC is looking for: "I'm a brain surgeon philanderer who bullfights and writes on the side." "I was a troubled youth and now I'm a district attorney who writes on the side." "I'm a stripper and a cop who writes on the side." You know, John Grisham and Diablo Cody types; writers whose real world experience can be mined for your entertainment.

But there's nothing about my background that's remotely interesting. I'm a writer who writes on the side. And not even a successful writer -- a struggling one who farts press releases to pay rent, who grew up in a normal family, who loved consuming TV and movies and books so much that creating them too was inevitable. Add hard work into that mix, an inspiring teacher here and there, a wacky imagination, a bit of talent and... and that's it, NBC. That's all I got.

In other news, I stumbled across some AMAZING writing contests today that I had never heard of before. They're in the US, of course (because Canada stinks at supporting its artists) but Canadians can apply for them, too. Good luck to all!

6 comments:

  1. I have one question - is Miss USA farting out press releases? Please say yes.

    Good luck on the contests!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! I love your interpretation, Matt! Gold star!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so impressive. It would probably take me years to write 135 jokes. Good luck with your application, I hope this all works out for you. Your line about farting press releases to pay the rent was great, Emily.
    Evadne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Evadne! Thanks for your support and for re-writing the word "fart" in the comments section. Made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't fully read this, but thought you might like it: http://splitsider.com/2011/05/mind-the-gap-a-series-on-awkward-women-in-comedy/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great link, Alana! The article was mostly about a BBC show (now cancelled) called PULLING. I never heard of it before but I have a feeling it's about to become my favourite.

    ReplyDelete