Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My Kardashian-Humphries Story (Get it? It's SHORT!)

I'm a bit sleepy today after spending all night crying over the Kardashian-Humphries divorce. Oh, and also because I was finishing a new short story. (As short as Kim's marriage? You betcha!) The CBC's Canada Writes: Short Story Contest deadline was 11:59pm last night and I just made it, hitting the submit button at around 11:30pm. I wasn't planning on entering since the word count is so low (max of 1500) and since I loathe paying to enter contests -- it just reeks of that distinguished poetry anthology I was SO stoked about getting into in grade six. But, since I'm basically still in grade six (see title of blog post), the prospect of being published sucked me in again and I found myself forking over some cash and throwing my story into the ring.

And, of course, since I was rushing to finish last night, I found a typo this morning. Derg! Basically, I have a couple days to make a "bathing bikini" an actual thing. Dear fashion writer friends: if you could spread the word about how "summer 2012 is going to be all about the bathing bikini," you'd really be doing me a solid.

As for the other short story I recently blogged about, I finally found a journal that could be a good fit: PRISM. They run a few contests every year, including a short fiction contest, so I think I'll give it a go. Thanks to Trena for pointing me in PRISM's direction.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you to get your story in to the CBC contest, that in itself is something to be proud of.
    Evadne
    p.s. It's funny you should mention a bathing bikini ... I was looking for mine this morning, and am glad to hear it will be back in style next summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Evadne. Now if you could get your bathing bikini in Vogue or The Walrus, I'd really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete