Thursday, February 23, 2012

_____________________ See? I've writer's block.


I've been in a slump lately. Haven't written much of anything in two weeks or so. Instead I've been obsessively applying for jobs over the Internet (which is a terrible way to apply for jobs), reading loads of books (Treasure Island!!! by Sara Levine was my easy favourite) and watching bits of TV shows and movies on Netflix (The Future was good. Everything else? Not).

Sigh. Life without cable or professional direction is rather cruel.

I have, however, been doing some research for what I think my next book will be. Maybe. Probably. Crap, I don't know. Whatever it is, I do think I've stumbled upon something really unique and interesting -- the ideal seedy underbelly to my next novel it just may be.

See, I've discovered that I what I love to base my stories around is something real out there in the world. Or, as in the case of my first novel, real to someone, even if that someone isn't me. And then with that real frame holding up my house, I make up the characters that have to react inside of it, have to show their true selves... Blah blah blah. Ugh. I just don't have the energy...

Anyways, with my next project, what I'd like to use as the backdrop for the dark, funny tale I'll be telling is something out of the history books. Yeah, that's annoyingly vague, I know. Nebulous even. (I love that word.) But before I say more, I have to take this idea -- this history -- into the workshop in my brain and bash it around for a while. Here's hoping my ears don't bleed from all the thinking. Here's hoping that I can actually turn this into something.

Here's ________ (<< dramatic pause) to the future!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment