Friday, February 10, 2012

Who are three people who have never been in my kitchen? (And other pressing questions)

My agent gave me the assignment of coming up with a book that I can compare mine to. It's for pitching purposes, so although it's a tough task, it's important that I get it right.

After much hemming, hawing and bookshelf staring, I think I know what book I'm going to use. Someone smarter and better-read than I once told me that my book reminded her of The Edible Woman by Margaret Atwood. I've just read it, and I have to say that I agree. So I've decided to work with that title and see how it goes.

Here's what's guiding me in my comp assignment:

"The Weather Inside is like (fill in the blank with an author's name or a title of a book) only (fill in the blank with what sets you apart)."

And here's what I've come up with so far:

1) "The Weather Inside is like Atwood’s The Edible Woman only without the feminist agenda and with lots more sex."
- Not true. I'm too chicken to write about sex, at least explicitly. And I always have a feminist agenda. I mean, I went to York.

2) "The Weather Inside is like Atwood’s The Edible Woman, only without all those big words and ideas."
- Ok, that’s just me and my inferiority complex. But come on. Atwood? Who’s kidding who here?

3) "The Weather Inside is like Atwood’s The Edible Woman, only set in the 2000's and written by someone else."
- All true. (Sort of like this clip from Cheers.) And yet I get the feeling it won't exactly inspire a bidding war between publishers.


As you can see, I'm kind of stuck. And as you may not have seen, I sort of have a thing for Margaret Atwood.

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Ok, Franzine. I'll choose 3 if you choose New York. Deal? (Note to others: See Franzine's blog for details.)

      Delete
  2. THE WEATHER INSIDE is this generation's THE EDIBLE WOMAN only with snowstorms in summer, Jehovah's Witnesses, Greek food and a generous helping of snark.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we change "snark" to "shark" Linda? Because then I think we'd really have a winner on our hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know I might actually choose New York...which means you might just have to pitch your book like that. I hope your agent has sign onto this deal too! So are there sex scenes or not???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha! How about instead of committing professional suicide, I'll buy you a drink in New York one day? (and yes, there are a couple "sex" scenes. But no bodice ripping, I'm afraid.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. "The Weather Inside is like Atwood's The Edible woman, only it doesn't have any bodice ripping or racism."

    How's that?

    I've never read The Edible Woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. I can tell Matt, but I think you may have improved it.

      Delete
  7. Are you going to be in New York?

    Also have you read the Art of Fielding? I think it is Marriage Plotty, trading Barthe for Melville, and with a slightly more exciting love triangle. You might like it. I'm down to the last few pages, so I'm dragging my feet on finishing it since I love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be in NYC one of these days. When I have enough money most likely, or when someone abducts me and takes me there to await ransom.
      I did try The Art of Fielding (the sample on my kindle) but I wasn't pulled in enough to keep going. Maybe I should give it another go? I'm currently reading Treasure Island!!! (exclamation marks included) and it's amazing!

      Delete
  8. The first two sections of the Art of Fielding didn't pull me in, and I almost stopped. But it shifts POV and tone, and by the third or fourth section I was hooked. I wasn't interested in the character who opens the book, but the others are compelling. My sense is you'd like what I liked.

    ReplyDelete