Thursday, March 8, 2012

Berry good progress on book #2

It's March, which means that I'm likely Vitamin-D deficient and five pounds fatter than I was last summer. It also means that I've been working away at book #2 for weeks now and wondering how the hell I managed to write book #1 in the first place. My current theory is that I was struck by lightening -- that Zeus himself zapped all those great ideas into my head and then, with my body spasming from the jolts, my fingers just happened to contract and hit the right keys over and over and over for the next couple of years.

As such, the plan for my next book is as follows:

1) wait for massive electrical storm to reach Toronto;
2) retrieve metal pole from storage locker;
3) run outside;
4) hold onto pole;
5) Zap!;
6) Book.

Until then, I'll just have to put the ol' brain to work on book #2. It's going surprisingly well so far. I'm liking the characters and the possibilities for drama that they're bringing with them. The setting is amazing and the fact that it's a real place? All that surreal geography and history? I mean, damn. You couldn't make all that up if you tried.

In other news, look at what I found in my bag of Swedish Berries last night:

A siamese berry! I thought these guys were only the stuff of legend, of myth, of... Oh my Gods. Zeus? Was that you? Are you there? Is this double-berry a sign?

Now where the hell did I put that pole?

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. As soon as the wrinkles are ironed out of my outline, you'll be the first to know, Linda. :)

      Delete
  2. i spent my plane ride from SF to NYC crossing out 35 pages of book 2 (which was 80 pre-flight). it will come the same way the first one does! with a lot of effort and baby steps toward the final goal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Franzine. Still, how great would it be if writers had help from the Gods? Imagine how much easier it would be to get a publishing deal: "Editor!" roared Zeus, his trident gleaming in the sun, "Thou shalt give Writer a five-book deal and 45% of the list price on the first 5,000 copies sold!"

      Delete