Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Inspiration Part Two: Jonny G. gets freaky

A popular topic with many writers in the blogosphere is music: If they listen to it when they write and, if so, what music they listen to. Personally, I can only listen to music when I'm in brainstorming or big-picture editing mode. In fact, I make a point to listen to it because I find music quite helpful when I'm trying to get my gears spinning in a certain direction. But when I'm actually hard-core writing or editing, lyrics and soaring guitar riffs are just too distracting. (Same goes for keytar riffs, but those are harder to come by.) 

I've recently stumbled upon a piece of classical music written by Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead fame. Oh how those thumb-sucker teeth and beclouding bangs used to drive me wild! Guitar aside (which he plays like a cello from time to time), Jonny is also known to rock out on the harmonica, banjo and whatever the hell the glockenspiel and ondes Martenot are. And I swear, I swear that at a concert back in the mid 2000s, the man was making sweet, sweet love to a computer. Sigh. 

Um, where was I?

Oh yes. If you know classical music at all, then you'll probably recognize Penderecki in this song. Since I know nothing about classical music, all I recognize is the literary imagery for book #2 that this brain-spinning piece uploads into my skull. More specifically, scenes of a sprawling underground world that'll make for one heck of a good read.

So thank you Jonny G. and Mr. Penderecki. You two whacked-out dudes inspired my writing this week.



For more of Jonny, check out his new album here or, for some older stuff, watch the brilliant film There Will Be Blood. The music that gave you nightmares back in 2007? The stuff that sounded like violin-on-violin violence? Yeah, that was Jonny.

So that's me. What's inspiring you these days?

6 comments:

  1. I love the new Andrew Bird. And I totally agree - I get confused by lyrics or anything too sing-songy. I try to skip music. If I use music it's too block out the noise of other people's conversations, in which case it's quite handy to listen to bands who mumble or make up nonsense words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Beck is good for nonsense. I heard him admit in an interview that most of his lyrics are what they are because the words just sound good together. I wish I could do that with books sometimes. So much easier.

      Delete
  2. Jonny Greenwood is awesome. If you ever see Radiohead live or see a recording of a live show, half the time he just stands there (for their older stuff), which means that at any second he's about to do something mind-blowing. Then once he blows your mind, he goes back to standing there. He's pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, Matt. And the most amazing part is that he doesn't even have eyes! Only bangs.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for posting this! I listen to Hail to the Thief almost exclusively when I write. It's bordering on a sickness. This will be a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete