Tuesday, July 31, 2012

It’s like falling, only twistier


I finished another round of revisions last night and I celebrated with a good stretch on the floor and some Olympics watching. Synchro diving, men’s gymnastics, swimming and “the end.” I was in my happy place.

Even though I’m a bit numb to the story at this point, I’m pretty darn pleased with the changes I’ve made to my manuscript. I cut out a character, made a key relationship much stronger, added a new adventure and gave a favorite minor character a larger role in the story.

I feel lucky that I was able to pull this all together. The solutions came to me so fast, I could hardly believe it. My agent Linda is magic, I think. Every time I talk to her, my brain lights up with ideas.

So the ideas came easy, but the writing? That was hard work. I spent about three months on this round of revisions and I learned so much along the way. I really feel like I know how to write a book now. (Not that there are absolutes in this business, but I know myself better now, I know my style, what I need to get the work done.) It took years of hard, lonely work. I’ve been obsessive, possessive and emotionally raw because of it. And it’s been the greatest experience of my life.

So if you’re trying to find an agent or finish that first draft, keep going. Don’t give up. I’m not even on the podium yet, but I know I’ve done something that I’m proud of. And I know that I’m a writer.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Franzine! Cross your fingers for me!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the uplifting post, Em! Are you magic too? I needed to read something like this. I'm pulling an all-dayer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alana! I wish I was magic. Then I could wear capes all the damn time and nobody -- I mean nobody -- could say nothin' 'bout it.

      Have a glorious day of LA writing!

      Delete