Friday, August 10, 2012

Treats for manuscripts

Aside from the Olympics, my brain is focused on book two at the moment. While my Post-It note outline has been whispering in my right ear for months now, I haven't opened the actual manuscript since the spring. In fact, it's been so long since we've seen each other that I'm afraid it won't recognize me. It'll hide behind some other Word document all shy and bashful, and I'll have to lure it my way with a pork rind or some peanut butter toast. Because I'm pretty sure that's what manuscripts eat.

4 comments:

  1. Were you able to get back to it after your time away? I think I finally gave up on mine. I need motivation to work on long fiction again after working on stories for kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tara! I was able, although it's been a slow process. I find that deadlines help, don't you? Have you ever thought of maybe writing a novella to get back into it? And then turning that into a novel? Because if you like deadlines, a friend of mine found this awesome novella contest:

      https://www.parisliteraryprize.org

      Great credentials for a contest you pay to enter! I mean, wow.

      Delete
  2. That's quite the deadline and contest! I live by deadlines, but September 15th? Is that a challenge? :) I wonder if I could whip my novel #2 into a novella in two weeks. Probably would be easier to write 20,000 new words! :) Let me know next time you're going to a writer's workshop or conference. Maybe I'll come into the city and join you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Not a challenge. It's annual so I was thinking next year. But if you drink ten cups of coffee a day for the next 23 days, forgo bathing and ignore your family and all your wordly responsibilities, this year's deadline might be doable.

      Delete