Sunday, November 25, 2012

The mind is willing. But the MacBook?

In my never-ending quest to straighten out my question-mark posture, I've decided to change up my computer hardware situation. Don't get me wrong: I love my MacBook Air and I'd kiss its feet if it had them. But my body is struggling right now and I've got to start thinking long-term, which means I've got to start thinking about ergonomics. 

The screen on my laptop is just so low that it puts me into a hunch. After a few minutes of typing, my neck aches and my shoulders spasm. This can't go on much longer; I've got my future to think about. After all, if this writing thing doesn't pan out, I only have my looks to fall back on. 

So I bought a new keyboard and a Samsung monitor today. The monitor was on sale and, more importantly, is height adjustable. Woo hoo! I thought. My spine will be ballerina straight! 

A couple of hours ago, my fiancĂ© and I hooked the screen up to my laptop and new keyboard, turned it on and... TAD duh. It should have been good enough. The specs were on target and the reviews were mostly glowing. But the words on the screen were surrounded by this "ghosting effect" that made my eyes strain. The resolution just didn't make the grade.

I don't blame Samsung, though. I blame Apple. They sold me the best crack on the street and now anything else is just plain regular crack, cut with baking soda and mixed together in a bathtub. A really grubby bathtub in, like, a frat house or something.

So the Samsung is going back. And until I win the lotto and can afford an Apple monitor, here's what I'll be using instead:


Yep. That would be my $2000 Air perched on a cardboard boxed stuffed with photos from my drunken trip to Europe. 

What about you? Does your body ache from writing? What setup works for you?

8 comments:

  1. You are awesome and I love all of your words. Now show us the photos from the drunken trip to Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would but I took my trip when chokers, over-plucked eyebrows and high ponytails were in style. Those photos need to stay buried.

      Delete
  2. Oh, yeah, I totally get that.

    *pulls ponytail down to mid-head, tears off choker, thanks universe for unibrow*

    ReplyDelete
  3. My monitor at work. Nuff said. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/20121203123455.jpg/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter the monitor, it seems often a cardboard box is required.

      Delete
    2. I think a Buddhist monk said that.

      Delete