Monday, February 11, 2013

High hopes and new Popes

Not much to report as of late, hence the radio silence. I've also been really busy writing. I recently finished a short story called "The Year of Falling Glass" and submitted it to the Toronto Star's short story contest -- one of the best short fiction contests I've ever come across in terms of prizes and mainstream exposure. Can you imagine making $5000 for a short story? That's unheard of, at least in Canadian literary circles where prizes are either

a) a congratulatory snowball (freezer-shipped to you at your expense),
b) clippings from Michael Ondaatje's beard, or 
c) an empty promise of a moose and/or aurora borealis sighting 

If you're eligible, I highly suggest you toss your hat in the Toronto Star's ring. (Is it just me or did that sound vaguely sexual?) The deadline is February 24. And get this: there's no entry fee. 

Anyways, I hope all is well with your writing/reading/living and that your pick for Pope gets the nod. Here's mine:


8 comments:

  1. Very best of luck on the story contest, you!

    FYI for real, our cab driver in Rome a couple weeks ago said fo sho the next Pope will be from Brazil. I have never been given bum information by a cab driver, so. . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as he brings the pope-mobile back into active service. Where has that thing been?

      Delete
  2. I believe John Paul II was buried in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, you're funny. Good luck with everything. This would be a great way to create some publicity for your writing + give you enough money to buy me lunch the next time I roll into Toronto.

    Gambatte!

    -j1b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a deal, Jackson. If I'm feeling extra generous, I'll even spring for a kale smoothie.

      Delete
    2. Yes. I love kale smoothies, especially when they're sweet. By the way, congrats on your engagement! That's fucking awesome, man. So happy for you.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Jackson! I found me a good man, so it is totally fucking awesome. :)

      Delete