Monday, October 28, 2013

Lamp or Japanese Water Ghost?

I attended a fascinating talk at the International Festival of Authors on the weekend. It featured four young authors, all of whom had written novels about war/conflict. All four had very different points of view and outlooks on writing, and the whole thing was incredibly thought provoking. It also veered into the weird courtesy Shani Boianjiu who preferred to answer her own questions, stroke her long black hair and pretty much disagree with everyone on the panel, I think, just to stir up s#it. Needless to say, Shani made the event feel a little bit more like The Real Housewives of New Jersey than literary roundtable, which, for anyone who knows me knows that I NOW LOVE SHANI BOIANJIU. 

Among the panelists was the author of one of my favorite books of the year: Anthony Marra, writer of A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, which I have drooled about here. Anthony was charming and thoughtful, and provoked a great deal of the debate... whether he wanted to or not. 

He signed books afterwards and I was so nervous when I met him that I rambled about how I bought his book twice: first as an e-book and second as a paperback so I could get his signature. I also rambled something about how "I'm a struggling writer and your book sort of gave me permission to write about war too even though I haven't lived it either blah blah blah." Then Anthony smiled, told me that he's a "struggling writer too," which made me want to hug him and, also, kick him in the shins.

Anyway, because I bought his book twice, Anthony signed it twice. Ha! He also drew a doodle of me on the page (see below), which brings me to the point of this post. 


A friend thinks that the doodle of me looks like a lamp...


... But I think it looks more like a Japanese water ghost.


What say you?

6 comments:

  1. You look like a lamp. Er, I mean a brilliant light in the future of the literary universe.

    Good luck with your manuscript ... fingers crossed for when your agent reads it. If you get this done, that will spur me on. Please!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Nice one Evadne! :)
      Thanks for the good wishes about the manuscript too.

      Delete
  2. I am NOT going to weigh in on whether you look like a lamp or a Japanese water ghost in that doodle, but I WILL say that you have totally converted me to value of getting a book signed - even if it means, as you described, humiliating yourself in front of the person whose signature you have just lined up for (a humiliation in itself.) It is clear from this encounter though that he thought you were quite charming. And does the part above it say "Good luck on your first novel?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does say something about my first novel. Because I am an idiot and couldn't help but blather about that! But yes, it is totally worth lining up to get signatures. It reminds you that these genius writers are real people too. Makes me feel like if they can do it, I can do it too.

      Delete
  3. Definitely lamp. Partly because that is what popped Rorschach-like into my head when I saw it, and partly because Japanese water ghost has horrible posture. Sore editing neck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Japanese Water Ghosts need massages too.

      Delete