Tuesday, May 26, 2015

What my book's about

I don't think this is going to happen, you guys.

In case you're curious, here's what my forthcoming novel is about...
It’s summer in Toronto, and the snow and ice is relentless. Too bad no one but Avery can see it. 
Avery Gauthier can't get far enough away from her past: the death of her beloved father, the abuse she suffered as a teen, and the religion that tore her parents apart. A reality-refugee, she has managed to keep the chaos of her former life at bay… until now.

When her husband returns to the Jehovah's Witnesses, her estranged mother wants back in, and the snow—invisible to everyone but Avery—piles up and up and up, Avery is forced to face her greatest fears. She looks to the outside for help, to her mysterious superintendent and the comforts of a local weatherman, only to realize that the solutions lie where the problem does: within.

A twisted, darkly funny and redemptive tale, The Weather Inside will leave you wondering where the line is drawn between what’s real and what’s imagined, and why love alone is never enough.
It's not final cover copy or anything, but I'm pretty okay with it. My one-line brunch pitch can still use some work, though. "It's about a woman who has a very surreal breakdown when her husband leaves her for the Jehovah's Witnesses." Picture those words coming out of a mouth full of gluten-free pancake.... Yeah, I agree. It doesn't quite cut it. (and also: ewww.)

Since my hopes are always high that technology will save me, I put the longer description into an auto summary tool and crossed my fingers. Here's what it spit out:
A twisted and redemptive taleThe Weather Inside will leave you wondering where the line is drawn between what’s real and what’s imagined, and why love alone is never enough.
Which means that computers are even lazier than me! (And that I'm now very doubtful that flying cars will actually happen.)

4 comments:

  1. This is awesometastic!!!! Very excited to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And by "read" you mean "buy 37 copies," right?

      Delete
  2. Your description makes me want to read it 37 times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just in case though, RL, I'm gonna go ahead and put you down for 38 copies.

      Delete