Friday, September 25, 2015

"Once you go green, you'll never go back." (And other wisdom from Cabbage Head.)

Bruce on Bruce: "I'm the weird little man." 
Also: "I'm a work pig."

Kids in the Hall is one of the many reasons I'm proud to be Canadian. Those darkly hilarious sketches spoke to me as a semi-depressed teenager in a way that SNL never did. Plus, the show exemplified what I think comedians/writers/actors from Canada do best: WEIRD. 

I don't think there will ever be anything like it again in Canada's mainstream. As the CBC continues to get squeezed to the rind by Stephen Harper, our national broadcaster just won't risk making counter-culture culture like they used to.

That's why I was so thrilled to see my favorite Kid/Cabbage Head at a Writers Guild of Canada event last night: Bruce McCulloch. It took me back to the good old days -- when I could turn on channel four and see Bruce, Scott, Mark, Dave and Kevin crushing heads and taking names.

Although he's an actor, director and the showrunner behind Young Drunk Punk, Bruce considers himself to be a writer first. And at last night's Q&A with Matt Watts, he dropped some nuggets of wisdom -- as only Bruce can -- that I wanted to share.

"Suicide and writing are both the ultimate selfish act."

"If I write something and it isn't good, it's not my fault -- it's the idea's fault."


"You can't judge it as you're writing it. That's the death of everything."

"Follow your spark and your human spirit. That's the best advice I can give young -- and old -- writers."

Thanks for the advice, Cabbage Head. You're one in a million.


Bruce as the charming chauvinist Cabbage Head. 
Only in Canada, people.

No comments:

Post a Comment