Thursday, June 30, 2016

The Believer

My pal Alana Trumpy just got her first byline in The Believer, which is the coolest lit journal around. And not just that, but her interview subject is a pretty major get. AND the author drops in a "director's cut" treat too. I like The Believer for the same reason I like The Paris Review: the Q&A feels like a conversation. A smart one. The kind you'd have in Europe. Over a glass of barolo. With maybe a nice piece of fish. Or huddled in a medieval fireplace with a hitchhike poet smoking Gitane blondes.

As a writer, this type of interview is basically the dream. To be asked intelligent questions by a person who's given your work a deep read, and even deeper thought. It doesn't get much better than that.

Check it out here.

2 comments:

  1. This reminded me of the first discussion of the Red Ink series, (http://lithub.com/do-writers-need-to-be-alone-to-thrive/) the writers discussing whether or not they need solitude (and what exactly solitude means to them) to be creatively productive. Because I have almost nothing that resembles conventional solitude in my life, I find the topic very relevant. Such a great interview, Alana. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read that discussion too! It came out like a day before my interview, though I don't think it's a coincidence. We're interested in female solitude because it's a sign of our times. PS What Em didn't mention is that she totally helped me by giving me last-minute feedback on my questions before I talked to Kate. I was nervous. Thanks Em for posting about the interview!

    ReplyDelete