Sunday, August 7, 2016

I Google myself, therefore I am

I Googled myself the other day and lo and behold, I got some good news: My sex tape is still undetected! Also, I discovered that I'm on the Most Anticipated Fall Fiction list over on the 49th Shelf blog. It was exciting to see my book up there in such good company. So good, in fact, that it cancelled out the clammy shame of the self-Google.

There's loads of brilliant books on this list, but a few in particular caught my eye. Strange Things Done sounds like a smart spine-tingler, which I'm very much in to these days. (Plus, the author, Elle Wild, is described as growing up "in a dark, rambling farmhouse in the wilds of Canada where there was nothing to do but read Edgar Allan Poe and watch PBS mysteries.") I'm fascinated by China, so Shenzheners by Xue Yiwei and translated by Darryl Sterk is also tops for me. If the reviews are any indication, Teardown by Clea Young (and my publisher Freehand Books) will indeed be "clever and imaginative, an absolutely addictive read." I'm endlessly intrigued by virtuosos and the inner lives of boys/men, which means Eric Beck Rubin's School of Velocity could be a winner for me, too. 

I'm going to have to re-prioritize my life just to fit in all these delicious fall reads. Let's see... Cancel three out of four television streaming services I subscribe to? Stop Googling myself? Give up the sex-tape lifestyle? Tough choices ahead.

By the way, if you want to pre-order my book The Weather Inside you can do that now direct from Freehand Books. Other options include going to your favourite local indie bookstore and asking for it, or giving them a call. You can also get it through the usual suspects like ChaptersAmazon and Barnes & Noble. For e-book readers, the link will be available on September 24 on Kobo, Kindle (Canada), iBooks, Google Play, All Lit Up and Broadview Press. 



8 comments:

  1. Hey, if you're forging ahead (for the moment) without an agent, don't feel guilty about googling yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A girl does have to fill the "press" section of her web site, right Alana? I had pictures of various things being pressed up there for like a year. (Coffee, big red button, etc.)

      Delete
  2. I Googled you last week to find out when the release date was! This waiting thing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Omg I know, Tara. And I've built it up so much on this blog!
      This couldn't possibly go badly.

      Delete
  3. The self-google is filled with hidden treasures. Recently I discovered in that way that someone has had a new baby and named her Rebecca Rosenblum and she is ADORABLE. So there's that. Also, congrats--and looking forward to seeing The Weather Inside in the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right, Rebecca. Many treasures to be found indeed.
      Like when my mom found out there was another Emily Saso who is a writer. What are the odds?

      Delete
  4. So glad it's getting noticed by such a great Canadian book site, and in wonderful company, too. As it deserves to be. Yeah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! Yeah, I love that site, too.

      Delete