1. 24 out of 26 Emmy nominees for writing are men.
I'll give you some time to process that.
Okay, ready? Let's continue.
2. If you think it's not systemic, here's an example direct from my personal experience. When the CBC passed on one of my TV pilots a few weeks ago, they said they already had a range of "female led comedy in development."
3. They weren't mean about it. In fact, they were very nice.
4. But they still implied -- via, you know, their words -- that they had enough tv shows written by women, with a female lead, thanks very much.
5. Not sure they'd ever use the term "male-led comedy" or even think twice about it. But ok...
6. I thought that was a funny reason to reject someone at first. Or at least an excuse for rejecting someone. I laughed about it. Out loud.
7. But then the Emmy noms came out.
8. I'm not laughing anymore.